INDT Week 7

This week’s use of the Wallwisher technology might be my favorite thus far. In minutes I was able to create a discussion board which can be found here¬†http://padlet.com/wall/JCEducation and have friends, family, and classmates post about a topic that I have been thinking about a lot lately, homeschooling. I think that this tool would have great usage in my future classroom as a forum about different topics for students to discuss or just as a place to answer students questions. I chose to have my posts come up in a stream as opposed to stickies because I wanted something more symmetrical and orderly.

Not only could I set up walls for my future classroom but I think it would be a great way for students to set up their own walls and projects to be able to gain feedback from their classmates and the general public. I liked that there were options to change the privacy settings as well as the ability to moderate different comments. Sometimes technology can be overwhelming as I have mentioned in previous reflections but this was so easy to use and practical as well! I also think that because it is so easy to use that it provides an amount of efficiency that not all technology offers.

Students will retain much more of what they discover on their own to what they will learn from a teacher lecturing for hours. “As with any inquiry-oriented activity, your goal as the teacher is to engage your students with a ‘big idea’ question and then let them discover workable answers”(Coffman, 2013. p. 104). Through these types of walls and other telecollaborative activities students are able to engage with each other and the material more actively.

Coffman, T. (2013). Using Inquiry in the Classroom. (2 ed.). Lanham, Maryland: Rowman and Littlefield Education.