IDNT 501 Mini Projects Week 1

In recent weeks I have developed a comfort with the technology that we have been using. I am more confident when going to use a new technology. This week’s mini projects gave us an opportunity to explore several different technologies. They were all applicable for the classroom as teachers, they were also able to be used by our students to complete projects for themselves. I chose the Voki and the Wordle this week since I think that they would be helpful on a class website as well as for students to study and review.

The Voki is a great example of a telecollaborative activity. Students would be able to put their voice to material and then share it with their classmates and other students. I also like the idea of using the Voki on a class website to give instructions and introduce students to material. I would love to have a page on a US History 11 class website that had different Vokis for the different presidents. I think that students would have a lot of fun creating them and it would make for an easy way to submit the projects. I think that the strengths of telecollaborative activities are summed up well in Coffman’s book, “the telecollaborative activity facilitates active student participation from all students, regardless of location. In addition, it is meaningful and allows for hands-on participation and engagement from all students”(Coffman, 2013. p. 115).

I appreciated the Wordle activity because of its use in the analysis of different texts. As a social studies teacher, I will often be showing my students various documents. It will be hard at times to communicate some of the documents but Wordle will help students pull out various main ideas since it emphasizes words with high word counts. I also like that it makes a visual for students since I think that it would be helpful for students with different learning styles. Students that are visual learners would be able to remember text better if they were viewing Wordles throughout the course of learning new material.

These different mini projects help expose us to a variety of technologies and help us learn more about how we can involve our students in the classroom. I am excited to explore more in the coming weeks and add to my knowledge of technology in the classroom.

Coffman, T. (2013). Using Inquiry in the Classroom. (2 ed.). Lanham, Maryland: Rowman and Littlefield Education.

Tags: , ,