Budget Blog

To Whom it May Concern:

Due to economic conditions the following budget cuts will be made in our district during the coming year. As the superintendent I felt it necessary to keep the same number of staff but I have made cuts in various areas. I have decided to keep all of our staff due to the fact that with the high student to teacher ratio decreasing teachers would place more of a burden on the remaining teachers. The only direct budget cut that teachers will experience is a slight cut in the budget for professional development, but there will still be tuition reimbursement for teachers so there is opportunity for more professional development through graduate courses.

The first area that will see budget cuts is the library. With the influx of technology I feel that it is not necessary to subscribe to many periodicals and journals. Students can research through the internet and with our technology budget staying the same this cut will be adequately covered. There will also be a cut in the number of books that we buy yearly since many of them can be found at the public library and with ebooks eliminating paper there is not as much of a push to have actual books in the library.

Building maintenance and custodial staff are crucial for the upkeep and cleanliness of our schools, so there will not be any cuts in that area. If we do not keep our schools in good shape it will require more money in the future to repair them.

The next area that will see budget cuts is learning resources. The adoption of new textbooks every year will no longer be a top priority, but a partial replacement of textbooks will be allowed. Textbook companies change their editions far too often and not much changes in many of our textbooks. Now I do not think that our students should be using textbooks that are 15 or 20 years old but a few years old is ok. Sadly the budget for field trips must be cut as well. Once again with the technology initiative, students are able to experience many hands-on experiences right in their classroom.

Finally, the area that will see the most cuts as well as the elimination of two services is Student Services. The programs to cut completely are the Activity Bus as well as the Parent Resource Center. The activity bus only offered limited drop off points and we did not think that it would be beneficial to keep it running. The Parent Resource Center is a great idea in theory but I feel through teacher maintained websites and PowerSchool that parents should be able to access the same information. There will also be cuts to after school programs and summer school. I feel that since we are keeping so many staff that instruction just be maximized upon during the school year.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. It has been hard to make these decisions and I hope that you can be understanding of them.

Sincerely,

Ms. Carlson

Points

20% cut

Protect instructional staff
Avoid layoffs of core content teachers*

10

10
Avoid layoffs of special subject teachers**

10

10
Avoid cuts to health benefits

6

6
Protect Staff
Teacher instructional aides

5

5
Full-time office staff

5

5
Part-time employees

3

3
Limit reductions to the library
Staff

3

3
Books

5

2
Periodicals/Journals

4

2
Protect Building Services
Custodial staff

3

3
Building repair and maintenance

4

4
Protect Learning Resources
Academic technology

5

5
Textbook adoption

5

2
Teacher Instructional Budget***

5

5
Field trips

5

2
Protect Faculty Services
Employee tuition reimbursement

4

4
Staff development for teachers

5

3
Protect Student Services
Athletic/recreation programs

5

5
Student activity bus

2

0
Parent Resource Center

2

0
Positive behavior support

2

2
Preschool special education

3

2
Summer school

4

2
After-school programs

5

3

TOTAL

110

88

Tags: , , , ,